ABOUT THE PROGRAMME:
In the present age of rising aspirations and expectations of people, the thrust of the Governments all over the world has been to provide good governance for peace, prosperity, growth and dignified life to it’s citizens. According to UNESCO “e- Governance is the public sector’s use of information and communication technologies with the aim of improving information and service delivery, encouraging citizen participation in the decision-making process and making government more accountable, transparent and effective”. In India, the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) envisioned to make all Government services accessible to the common man in his locality and to ensure efficiency, transparency & reliability of such services at affordable costs to realise the basic needs of the common man. Significantly large numbers of e-governance projects are under implementation and many are on the anvil which calls for deployment of manpowers with the skills necessary to implement an egovernance project from conceptualization to complete roll out stage. As per NeGP a large number of trained professionals are required to manage e-Governance projects in Government and Software Industry. Based on the recommendations of the Administrative Reforms Commission on promoting e-Governance, Kerala State Government has proposed Capacity Building at the individual level by starting a Diploma / Degree programme on e-Governance. One-year full-time post Graduate Program in e-Governance offered by the Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management –Kerala (IIITM-K) and the Institute of Management in Government (IMG), aims at high standards in Information Technology, Management and Governance. The programme focuses on capacity building in e-Governance through developing foundations in IT, Management, Government Process Reengineering and Change Management.
- Generating human resources with the right skills, knowledge, aptitude and leadership qualities for effective implementation of e-Governance Projects.
- Conceptualisation of ideas and development of service delivery models for improving the quality of service to citizen.
- To broaden the scope of e-Governance in the State through various sectors and services.
- To enhance the effectiveness of the e-Governance programmes by integrating state-ofthe- art technologies and management.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE PROGRAMME
- Curriculum is designed carefully by eminent academicians, senior officials from Government and IT industry, covering basic and advanced levels of relevant fields.
- Faculty members are drawn from leading organizations and academic institutions, who are experts in the subject.
- Study trips for the participants to familiarise with e-Governance projects.
- Opportunity to study mission mode e-Governance projects.
- Supported with Learning Management System, Digital Library, Multimedia based video lectures, and other collaboration tools to enhance the quality of teaching and learning. Training is held in IIITM-K and Government’s Training agency IMG that allows participants to interact with IT professionals and Government Officials.
- Students are provided with 24 x 7 labs with high-end network infrastructure, high speed
- Internet bandwidth and quality software services
- Wi-Fi campus with high end computing infrastructure.
Employment Opportunities in E-Governance
The Indian IT Industry has been growing at a fast rate over the past decade in spite of global economic upturns. The Indian IT export market grew to $ 60 billion and the domestic market grew to $13 billion. In the coming years, the IT sector is expected to open a large number of employment opportunities for trained professionals in this area. Also Government of India is making massive investments in implementation of e-governance projects at an estimated cost
of over $ 3 billion. National Association of Software Services Companies (NASSCOM) will further enhance its focus on ‘e-Governance’ during the year 2010. The domestic IT sector in the past year has witnessed rapid Growth, largely led by government spending on IT. In the last year, many leading companies have entered into the India market with special thrust on government projects. (www.nasscom.in, press release 09/2/2010).
“Indian government plans to spend $10-billion on the National e-Governance program to provide better services to the citizens.”- www.egovonline.net
Major E-Governance Initiatives in India
1. In 2006, the government approved the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) comprising
of 27 Mission Mode Projects (MMPs) and eight components.
2. Unique ID project of Government of India approx. Rs. 19 billion.
3. Passport Automation Project - the largest mission-critical e-Governance project valued
at over Rs.10,000 million executed by TCS
4. The Government of India plans to roll out a number of e-Governance projects, including
tax information, pension schemes, and treasury management, etc.
5. Government of Kerala has launched many e-Governance projects like Akshaya, MESSAGES, IDEAS, SPARK, Dr. SMS etc. (www.itmission.kerala.gov.in)
6. Rajasthan government has made mandatory for each department to allocate 3% of the budget of a plan on e-Governance.All these projects could provide vast opportunities to IT services companies as many of these projects are taken on Public Private Partnership. The huge investment in e-Governance area by Central and State Governments will translate into large number of employment opportunities for trained professionals. Up on successful completion of the PGDeG programme, the participants may find career opportunities in Government’s IT and
E-Governance projects, Software Industry, Consulting Companies and National & State ICT
E-GOVERNANCE INITIATIVES AT IIITM-K
- Education Grid (www.edugrid.ac.in)
- KISSAN Kerala (www.kissankerala.net)
- e-Krishi (www.e-krishi.org)
- AKMINDIA (www.akmindia.in)
- Police Portal (www.tvmcitypolice.org)
- Web GIS (http://gis.iiitmk.ac.in)
Entry-level requirement for the programme is a Bachelors degree in any discipline with working knowledge of computer systems. Diploma / Certification in computer application will be an added advantage. Preference will be given to B.Tech / MBA / MCA degree holders.
Category of Students
The total intake of the programme is 45 of which 20 are from open quota, 15 are reserved for Kerala Government Officials and 10 for sponsored candidates. Under sponsored category, Central, other State Government Offices, Public Sector Undertakings and Private Organizations could sponsor their employees through proper channel. SC and ST applicants will be eligible for reservation as per Government rules
- Eligible candidates from open category are selected through all India competitive entrance examination. The online test for this year will be held on June 02, 2013 and it will be conducted at centres in Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Manipur, Patna, Srinagar and Thiruvananthapuram. The test will be of one hour duration consisting of 60 objective type questions on General Knowledge, General Science, Mathematics, English and Reasoning and Fundamentals of Computer.
- Sponsored candidates from Central Govt, other State Govt, public sector undertakings or private organizations are first short listed based on their profiles and final selection is made through interview, which is scheduled on June 13, 2013 at IIITM-K, Technopark, Trivandrum.
- Head of Departments of Government of Kerala are requested to forward a list of nominated candidates with their resume, Non Objection Certificate and testimonials on or before 20-05-13 to Director, Kerala State IT Mission, ICT Campus, Vellayambalam, Thiruvananthapuram. Phone: 0471-2726881, 2314303. Fax: 2314284.
- Department shall nominate 2 officers for the year 2013-14.
- While granting NOC, the department would also consent that the said employee would be deputed for one year for the purpose of the said course in case he/she is selected.
- Specify the criteria for the selection of candidate(s).
- Specify the role to be assigned / project to be assigned to the candidate(s) on successful completion of the course.
How to Apply
Online Application and Instructions at http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/admission/About-PGDeG.html
Semester-wise break-up of PGDeG
Sl. No Course Title Credits
1. Introduction to e-Governance - 3
2. Service Delivery Improvement & BPR - 4
3. Principles of Information System Management - 4
4. Operation Management - Quantitative Techniques - 3
5. Introduction to Information Technology - 3
6. Software Engineering - 3
7. Information Security - 4
8. Elective I - Management - 3
Sl. No Course Title Credits
1. Legal framework - 3
2. Accounting and Financial Management - 3
3. Government Planning Process & Accounting - 4
4. Transactional Services - 4
5. Elective II – e-Governance - 3
6. Elective III – Information Technology - 3
7. Project Work - 5
Developing e-Gov Projects
Managerial IS Economics
Enterprise Architecture Framework
Public Private Partnership
Research Methodology and
Internship / Project Work
Students may carry out their project in any Government department, Institute, Industry or any public sector organisation. The project aims at giving the student an opportunity to work in a real life e-Governance implementation project. Typically, the project helps the student to learn about the process involved in designing and implementing an e-Governance project, the services and service levels of the project, business models, process re-engineering, current trends in IT infrastructure, preparation of RFP, interact with vendors, bidders and agencies for implementation of an e-Governance project.
Post Graduate Diploma in e-Governance (PGDeG) is awarded by Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Kerala.Last Updated on Friday, 17 March 2017 19:39